JUUL Labs' Quality and Standards
At JUUL Labs, we take the quality of our products seriously. We design with compliance in mind, testing throughout the development process and continuing to test once products go into production.
We hold our technology to high category standards:
We test for reliability and operational consistency in both individual battery packs and at the larger systems level, including impact and drop testing as well as forced failure, all of which meet international safety standards, such as IEC 62133, UL 1642, and IEC 60335.
Electrical Testing Standards
We test for electromagnetic compatibility, meeting or exceeding requirements for both radiating energy and safely absorbing it (immunity).
Radiated Emissions and Immunity Testing and Standards
We test for and meet international radiated emission, immunity and safety standards, like CISPR 22, IEC 60335, and IEC 61000-4-2/3/4/5/6/8/11.
Hardware Reliability Standards
We routinely conduct hardware tests for reliability and safety in real-world scenarios, such as impact and drop testing.
We follow and conform to California Proposition 65 and the European Union’s RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) regarding the use of hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment.
We maintain a JUUL Country-Specific list that prohibits any ingredients:
- In the US, chemicals that appear on the FDA Harmful and Potentially Harmful Constituents (HPHCs) list, the JUUL Disqualified Ingredients List, or are considered substances with Carcinogenic, Mutagenic, or Reprotoxic properties (CMRs) as provided by Annex VI of the European Chemicals Agency Classification, Labeling, and Packaging Regulation ((EC) No 1272/2008).
- Outside the US, we comply with the above requirements in addition to the applicable country-specific list.
- We employ a safety evaluation and advisory committee to review all materials in our products.
- We have strict policies governing the amount of any chemical allowed in our products.
- We routinely perform toxicology testing to ensure no chemical in our products exceeds those established policies.
Vapor Testing Standards
- We perform temperature regulation testing to ensure our e-liquid heats to a vaporization standard that avoids combustion and does not include chemicals that form in high temperature combustion.
- We routinely test our vapor to ensure that it meets our strict working standards.
- We deploy tasting panels of trained users to ensure consistent flavor from batch to batch.
- We perform toxicology testing on both the e-liquid and the resulting vapor following its vaporization through our heating products.
Supplier Controls Through Supply Chain
- We maintain agreements with our suppliers requiring strict and precise testing on the component products they supply to our manufacturing partners.
- We manage a program of supplier visits and recurring audits of their factories, including systems and practices in place for maintaining quality.
- We maintain an approved vendor list to ensure only those companies that meet our quality standards are allowed to enter our supply chain system.
- We maintain agreements with our finished-goods suppliers requiring strict adherence to our standards of quality.